Mommy Makeover Surgery
Several life experiences, including pregnancy, breastfeeding, and extreme weight loss, can lead to permanent changes in a woman’s physical appearance. Those who wish to revitalize their breasts and abdomen may qualify for a Mommy Makeover. A Mommy Makeover is performed using a unique combination of plastic surgery procedures to counteract the displeasing cosmetic effects of childbearing and enhance your physique. Your AesthetiCare surgeon in Orange Country, San Diego, and Riverside and their team are committed to restoring and improving your figure with a customized Mommy Makeover.
Who Can Benefit From a Mommy Makeover?
Your Customized Mommy Makeover
Every Mommy Makeover patient has different needs and expectations, all of which are thoroughly discussed during your initial consultation. Your surgeon will evaluate your condition and devise a surgical plan tailored to your aesthetic goals and unique anatomy.
- Patients may choose from a selection of silicone and saline implants for their breast augmentation procedure.
- Incisions may be created around the areolas or along the inframammary line.
- Implants may be placed above or beneath the pectoral muscle, depending on personal preference and cosmetic goals.
Sagging breasts can be restored to a perkier, firmer condition with breast lift surgery. Excess skin is removed from the breasts, and the remaining tissues are repositioned for a more youthful breast aesthetic. There are four incision location options for a breast lift:
- Periareolar (around the top of the areolas)
- Circumareolar (around the areolas)
- Vertical (from the top of the areolas down the middle of the breasts)
- Anchor (around the edges of the areolas, down the middle of the breasts, and horizontally along the inframammary fold)
- The vertical technique involves a creating a V-shaped incision down the midline of the breast, and it is ideal for patients who desire a mild to moderate reduction.
- The anchor technique utilizes an incision that encircles the areola, follows down the center of the breast, and continues along the breast crease. This incision is appropriate for patients who necessitate a more significant reduction.
- Free nipple grafting is the repositioning of the nipple-areolar complex to a higher placement on the breasts to improve their overall projection.
Full Tummy Tuck
- An incision is placed along the bikini line just above the pubis, and a second incision is created around the belly button.
- The abdominal skin is separated from the underlying musculature, and the rectus muscles are repaired.
- Excess tissue is carefully removed, the remaining skin is tightened, and all incisions are closed with sutures.
Mini Tummy Tuck
- Only one incision is created along the pubic area, through which excess tissue is removed.
- The incision is shorter than that of a full tummy tuck for a more conservative enhancement.
- The rectus muscles and remaining skin are tightened, and sutures are placed along the incision.
Extended Tummy Tuck
- This technique is appropriate for patients who have experienced extreme weight loss and suffer from abounding folds of abdominal tissue.
- The incision encompasses the entire front of the abdomen and continues along the hips to the back, as needed.
- After excess skin and fatty tissue are removed, the muscles are tightened for a firmer midsection, lateral thigh area, and buttocks.
Patients who struggle with pockets of unwanted fat can choose to add tumescent liposuction to their Mommy Makeover procedure package. Minuscule incisions are created near the treatment areas, through which sterile tumescent fluid is injected. The fluid minimizes the risk of bleeding and swelling in addition to making it easier to remove the targeted fat. A thin, hollow cannula is inserted through the initial incisions to suction fat cells out of the body permanently. The result is a sculpted and more attractive silhouette.
Mommy Makeover patients can expect bruising and swelling following the procedure. You will be provided with the necessary compression garments that will help minimize uncomfortable side effects and promote healing. Full recovery can take up to eight weeks, but most women feel well enough to return to work after two to three weeks. Avoid exercising until your surgeon has cleared you for higher levels of physical activity. Some degree of swelling may linger for several months as the body becomes accustomed to its new shape.
Scarring depends on the extent of correction required and the incision placement used for your Mommy Makeover. It is crucial to follow all aftercare directions provided by your surgeon and avoid exposing your incisions to direct sunlight to reduce the risk of developing noticeable scars. Genetics and your individual healing rate can also affect how your incisions will heal following your procedure. Most scars tend to fade over time.
The cost of a Mommy Makeover varies from case to case and is based on the procedures performed, techniques used, anesthesia fees, and surgical fees. Cost is an important factor to consider when making your decision, but you should always value the quality of the results over price. Qualifying patients may choose from our financing options.
Mommy Makeover patients are likely to experience discomfort during the first few days after the procedure. Your surgeon will prescribe medication to alleviate any pain you may encounter and provide you with a comfortable recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
A good candidate for a Mommy Makeover:
- Wants to address a combination of concerns at once
- Is finished breastfeeding
- Doesn’t plan to have more children
- Is in generally good health
- Is close to their ideal weight
- Is a non-smoker or is willing to stop smoking before and after the procedures
- Has realistic expectations for the procedures
- Has the time to commit to recovery
A Mommy Makeover is a highly customized procedure. As a result, the recovery time will vary from patient to patient, depending on which procedures are chosen. Generally speaking, it can take up to eight weeks to be fully healed, but most women only take two to three weeks off work.
A significant advantage of the Mommy Makeover is that you are combining several procedures at once. This means you only need to take time off work once, which can save you money. Additionally, combining the surgeries saves you costs on certain medical factors like anesthesia.
Generally speaking, patients are encouraged to wait to get their Mommy Makeover until they feel confident they won’t be having children again.
Of course, should you get pregnant, the surgeries will not interfere with your ability to have children. Instead, some of the results—such as from your tummy tuck or breast surgery—will be altered. The good news is that you can always have revision surgeries after your child to tighten anything that was altered.
During your consultation, your plastic surgeon will listen to your concerns and make a plan for your Mommy Makeover. Dr. Moser will offer his professional input on what combination of surgeries he thinks will get your desired results.
Additionally, during the consultation, he will examine your current health and your medical records. This will determine that it is safe for you to get the surgery.
Your doctor will advise you if your Mommy Makeover will be done in one or two stages. Depending on the combination of procedures you select, it may be safer to split the surgeries into two sessions.
Dr. Moser specializes in breast and body contouring, particularly tummy tuck surgery, breast augmentation, and liposuction—all of the Mommy Makeover components. Dr. Moser is a fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, a member of the American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery, and a diplomate of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.
With four locations in Southern California, including San Juan Capistrano, Newport Beach, Corona, and Encinitas, you have plenty of access to the specialists at AesthetiCare.
Because of the extent of correction necessary during a Mommy Makeover, it is performed under general anesthesia. General anesthesia ensures patient comfort and safety throughout the surgery.
While the effects of a Mommy Makeover are considered permanent, pregnancies and weight fluctuations following the procedure may reverse the outcome. Patients who undergo a Mommy Makeover should adopt a healthy, active lifestyle and refrain from having subsequent pregnancies to maintain their new physique.
Most Mommy Makeovers do not result in significant complications. However, all surgeries come with risks, some of which may include:
- Blood clots
- Abnormal reaction to anesthesia