The FDA has recently asked Allergan to recall textured breast implants since they feel that there may be a link between these types of implants and a very rare form of cancer called BIA-ALCL, a type of lymphoma that may develop in the scar tissue around the implant. Over 12 million women around the world have Allergan textured implants, and we here at AesthetiCare have used these implants almost exclusively during the past 25 years and thus have a tremendous amount of experience with this product. While warnings of this nature should be taken very seriously, it is essential to know that the risk of developing BIA-ALCL is very low. Please visit us for a free consultation to discuss your options with our experienced Allergan breast implant surgeons to learn more about this issue. We welcome all new and existing patients to come in for a complimentary consultation about your options and resources. Please note that Allergan is offering no charge smooth saline and silicone replacement implants for those patients wishing to exchange their textured Allergan breast implants for smooth implants.
Breast augmentation is designed to enhance the fullness and shape of small breasts. You may be unhappy with your breast appearance because of genetics, pregnancy, or recent weight loss, or aging may have robbed you of the youthful volume you once had. You may be just a phone call away from having the curves you’ve always wanted. If you’re interested in this procedure, schedule your consultation with AesthetiCare anywhere in Orange Country, San Diego, and Riverside.
Who Can Benefit From Breast Augmentation?
Breast Procedures Tailored to You!
- Saline implants are FDA approved for women 18 years and older. A saline implant is comprised of a flexible silicone shell filled with a saltwater solution. Saline implants allow for the widest range of incision options because they are inserted through a smaller opening. Women with thin breast tissue may not be the best candidates for saline implants because visible wrinkles and rippling are more likely to develop. Implant ruptures in saline implants are more noticeable; however, some women feel that saline implants don’t achieve the natural breast look and feel they desire.
- Silicone implants are FDA approved for women 22 years and older. Silicone implants are made of a cohesive silicone gel that is form stable. The cohesive nature of silicone implants provides them with a realistic feel. A wide range of size options is available. Incision options become more limited when using silicone implants. A silicone implant leak is difficult to detect and may require MRI confirmation. There are no proven, long-term health effects associated with silicone leaks, but you should always treat ruptures and leaks as soon as they occur.
- Periareolar – This incision encircles the areola so that scarring blends well with the edge of the areola. This method cuts through the milk ducts and may affect nipple sensation and your ability to breastfeed. Nonetheless, it gives the surgeon more control and flexibility in placing the implants with minimal scarring.
- Inframammary – This incision extends horizontally along the crease underneath the breast, leaving a scar that can be hidden by the lower breast tissue and clothing if necessary. While scarring is more extensive, this incision location gives your surgeon the greatest visibility and control in placing the implants.
- Subglandular implant placement is under the breast tissue but over the pectoral muscle. This prevents interference with the pectoral muscle, which may be beneficial to some athletes and women who lift weights. Additionally, patients who choose subglandular placement may experience less postoperative pain because the pectoral muscles haven’t been stretched in order to place the implants.
- Submuscular placement is below the glandular tissue and the pectoral muscle. This deep placement helps camouflage implant imperfections. Women with smaller frames or little breast tissue may benefit the most from choosing submuscular placement because it creates a more natural appearance and masks implant edges and surface irregularities.
Choosing Your Implant
You will undergo an extensive consultation process with one of our aesthetic surgeons, during which your breast augmentation will be customized. Factors such as your body frame, body and breast shape, lifestyle, and personal goals will impact the breast augmentation choices you make. Implant characteristics such as implant size, implant texture, and projection can also influence the final appearance of your breasts. The features of your implants and your implant placement are carefully balanced to ensure you receive beautiful and natural results. Our aesthetic surgeons’ understanding of anatomy and personal experience with breast procedures help them recommended the best course for your breast augmentation.
You will experience bruising and swelling following your breast augmentation. A special support bra is worn to reduce swelling. You will rest for several days in an elevated position. Most women feel comfortable returning to work within two weeks of their breast augmentation. Your ability to resume your regular exercise routine will be determined by your surgeon and can vary depending on your implant placement. Most patients can expect to resume full physical activity after four weeks. Major swelling subsides within six weeks, but minor swelling can persist up to six months.
The extent and visibility of your scarring will depend on the incision technique used for your breast augmentation. You should properly follow your postoperative instructions and avoid exposing your incisions to direct sunlight to ensure the least amount of scarring. However, your personal healing factors will impact the severity of your scars. Most women find that visible scarring fades over time and has little impact on the overall quality of their results.
Cost is determined by a number of things. The brand, material, and size of your implants will play a role in the final cost of your breast augmentation. The ultimate price of a breast augmentation is also influenced by other factors such as surgical fees, anesthesia fees, and geographical location. While price is an important element when choosing a breast surgeon, you should never sacrifice quality. Financing options are available for qualifying patients.
You may feel some minor discomfort for several days as you become accustomed to your new implants. Numbness throughout the breast is also common. Oral medication is provided to treat any associated pain you may experience.