Facelift surgery can take years off your facial appearance and give you a refreshed and rested look. This facial rejuvenation procedure improves signs of aging and creates more definition by tightening sagging facial muscles, correcting loose neck skin, and removing excess fat. Your surgeons at AesthetiCare Cosmetic Surgery Institute in Orange Country, Riverside, and San Diego are specially trained in the most advanced facial surgery techniques, and your safety and satisfaction are of paramount importance to them.
Who Can Benefit From Facelift Surgery?
Facelift Procedures Tailored to You
A traditional facelift produces a more youthful facial aesthetic by targeting signs of aging in the lower face.
- Incisions: Your surgeon will create an incision at the temples within the hairline that follows the natural creases in front of the ears, around the earlobe, and along the lower scalp. Sometimes, a small incision is placed under the chin to remove excess fat and tighten the neck muscles.
- Procedure: The skin is first separated from the fat and muscles. Fat is removed from around the neck and chin to improve jawline definition. The muscles are then tightened, excess skin is removed, and incisions are closed.
Signs of aging appear in the upper, mid, and lower portions of the face. However, changes to the middle region of the face, including volume loss and sagging of the cheeks, can often occur first.
- Incisions: The incision locations for a mid facelift vary from case to case. Your surgeon in may create incisions within the lower eyelid, inside the mouth, or along the hairline, depending on the extent of correction necessary.
- Procedure: During a mid facelift, an endoscope may be used to visualize the facial structures without necessitating large incisions. This approach involves tightening the underlying facial tissues and repositioning fat to restore youthfulness. A mid facelift does not address neck laxity or poor skin texture.
Because facelift surgery only addresses concerns in the lower face, it is commonly paired with other facial procedures to yield more comprehensive rejuvenation results.
- Eyelid surgery: This procedure can correct sagging and puffy eyelids. During eyelid surgery, your surgeon in will remove excess tissue through carefully placed incisions in the upper and lower eyelids to create brighter, younger-looking eyes.
- Forehead lift: A forehead lift can correct signs of aging in the upper region of the face. During this procedure, your surgeon will create inconspicuous incisions in the hairline through which excess tissue is removed to smooth imperfections in the forehead area.
You will likely experience bruising and swelling following your facelift surgery, but these side effects should resolve within a few weeks. Your surgeon may recommend wearing a compression garment to minimize swelling, prevent fluid accumulation, and provide support as you heal. You must rest for at least one week in an elevated position. Most patients feel comfortable returning to work within one or two weeks of their facelift procedure, but strenuous activity and heavy lifting should be avoided for up to three weeks. Your ability to resume your regular exercise routine will be determined by your surgeon and can vary depending on the extent of correction involved in your treatment.
The extent and visibility of your scarring will depend on the incision technique used for your facelift procedure. You should properly follow your postoperative instructions and avoid exposing your incisions to direct sunlight to ensure the least amount of scarring. However, your personal healing factors will impact the severity of your scars. Most patients find that visible scarring fades over time and has little impact on the overall quality of their results.
Cost is determined by a number of things, such as surgical fees, anesthesia fees, and geographical location. While price is an important element when choosing a cosmetic surgeon, you should never sacrifice quality. Financing options are available for qualifying patients.
You may feel some minor discomfort for several days after facelift surgery. Oral medication is provided to treat any associated pain you may experience during the initial stage of recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Facelift surgery is typically performed with the patient under general sedation, oral sedation, or intravenous sedation to ensure safety and comfort.
The final results of your facelift will be apparent after several weeks. Puffiness is expected following the surgery, but it gradually resolves, revealing a refreshed, confident appearance.
Facelift surgery does produce long-lasting results that can be enjoyed for many years. However, it does not halt the natural aging process. Patients who undergo facelift surgery will still appear years younger, even when subsequent maturation leads to newer visible signs of aging.