The FDA has recently asked Allergan to recall textured breast implants since they feel that there may be a link between these types of implants and a very rare form of cancer called BIA-ALCL, a type of lymphoma that may develop in the scar tissue around the implant. Over 12 million women around the world have Allergan textured implants, and we here at AesthetiCare have used these implants almost exclusively during the past 25 years and thus have a tremendous amount of experience with this product. While warnings of this nature should be taken very seriously, it is essential to know that the risk of developing BIA-ALCL is very low. Please visit us for a free consultation to discuss your options with our experienced Allergan breast implant surgeons to learn more about this issue. We welcome all new and existing patients to come in for a complimentary consultation about your options and resources. Please note that Allergan is offering no charge smooth saline and silicone replacement implants for those patients wishing to exchange their textured Allergan breast implants for smooth implants.
Breast reduction surgery creates smaller, more shapely breasts. Large, cumbersome breasts can result in discomfort and an unattractive bustline. At AesthetiCare in Orange Country, San Diego, and Riverside, we are devoted to helping women feel amazing about their bodies. Breast enhancement through reduction surgery can provide you with the relief you’ve been looking for.
Who Can Benefit From Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast Procedures Tailored to You!
- The vertical incision is placed around the top of the areola with a V-shaped incision down the center of the breast. This technique is limited in the type of correction it can provide and is typically used if there is a mild to moderate amount of excess tissue.
- The inverted-T (anchor) incision extends around the top of the areola, downward, and across the lower curve of the breast. This technique provides the most dramatic correction available and is most suitable for those with significant excess breast tissue they wish to have removed.
- Free nipple grafting removes the nipple-areolar complex, placing it higher on the breast. With the right patient, this allows us to improve the breast shape and the projection of the nipple.
Lifting the Breast Tissue
- Your ideal breast placement and shape as well as incision technique are determined during your consultation.
- To reshape the breasts, a portion of excess skin, fat, and possibly glandular tissue are removed from the lower pole of the breast.
- The nipple-areolar complex is then shifted upward, similar to a breast lift technique.
- During this step, we ensure that your breasts have a natural contour and attractive positioning on the chest.
- Dissolvable internal sutures are used to help maintain your new breast contour and to reduce tension on the skin during healing.
Liposuction is a method for gently removing excess fat from the breasts. It can be used as a standalone procedure for women with minor reduction needs. In other cases, it can be combined with a number of breast reduction techniques to reduce the size of the breasts and enhance their overall shape. Liposuction doesn’t result in any additional visible scarring because incisions are placed along the natural creases of the breasts.
Your incisions are closed, and drains may be placed to remove excess fluid from the breasts; the drains are removed after one to five days. You will experience bruising and swelling of the breasts. A compression garment or special surgical bra is worn throughout your recovery to ensure optimal results. Don’t sleep on your stomach and avoid excess physical exertion, especially of the upper body, for one month.
It is normal to develop scarring along the midline of the breast and in the natural creases. Suturing techniques are used to help reduce the visibility of scarring, but they will first appear red and enlarged. Scars eventually fade, but until then, they can be easily covered with tops and bathing suits.
The cost of your breast reduction is determined by the extent of correction needed and the techniques used during surgery. Other factors, such as anesthesia, surgical fees, and facility fees, will also impact the cost of your breast reduction. You should never sacrifice quality surgery for saving money. Financing options are available for qualifying patients. Because breast reduction is reconstructive in nature, with a goal of alleviating negative symptoms, your insurance may cover some or all of the cost.
You may experience some initial discomfort due to the swelling of your breasts. This is controlled with oral pain medication and subsides within several days. Once healed, most patients are extremely satisfied with the reduction in upper body pain.